How To Make A Claim Quickly In Case Of An Accident
The first and foremost step if you get involved in a car accident is to inform your insurance provider as soon as possible. Even if you are away from home or it was someone else who caused the accident, informing your policy provider will get the process started faster.
Here is a step by step guide on filing a claim after an accident:
- As soon as the accident happens, inform the local police station and obtain a copy of FIR.
- As mentioned above, call your policy provider immediately after the accident.
- Alternatively, you can log on to the insurance company website and file a claim.
- There will be an executive assigned to visit and check the damages to your vehicle
- Your car will be directed to the nearest authorised workshop for repairs of damages.
- After the approval, the company will settle the bills directly at the cashless garage or reimburse you.
- In case of personal injuries, you will be paid for the treatment of injuries.
Make note of the following information to be handy when you are intimating the claim to your policy provider:
- Your registered mobile number
- Policy number
- Name of the person insured
- Exact date and time of accident
- Vehicle number
- Make and model of the vehicle
- A brief but correct description of how the accident took place
- Name of the person driving the car
- In case the person intimating the claim is not the same as person insured, you need to provide name and contact details of the person insured
Documents required for claim process
- A duly signed claim form
- Registration certificate of insured vehicle
- A copy of FIR
- A copy of driving license
- An estimate of the repairs to be incurred
Important points to be remembered to avoid claim rejection
- Make sure to click pictures of damages and injuries to provide as a proof. Lack of proof is one of the most important claim denial reasons.
- Also keep name and numbers of any witnesses to the accident, if available.
- Do not refrain from informing the police as the claim will be rejected in case you fail to provide a copy of FIR.
- Avoid our claim from being rejected by being honest with your insurance provider. Lying may not just lead your claim to be rejected but also your policy being discontinued.
- Make sure you file a claim in the claim time limit of your policy provider.
- Make sure you do not proceed with any repairs before the vehicle has been inspected.
The claim filing process may seem cumbersome, but some insurance providers like HDFC Ergo have not just simplified the process, but also provide a great customer support to handle all your queries.
Disclaimer: The above information is for illustrative purpose only. For more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before going ahead with the purchase.
To know more about our Personal Accident Insurance Plans and its benefits CLICK HERE